Justin’s 2016 NFL Mock Draft
Final 3 Round NFL Mock Draft
Justin Kissel is a past football recruiter in the SEC. His insight to team’s trend and evaluation of talent has made his mock drafts finish at the top over the past several years. He weighs in on where the NCAA’s top talent will end up in this year’s 2015 draft.
1. Los Angeles Rams (from Tennessee Titans)- Jared Goff (QB), California- It feels strange to write Los Angeles instead of St Louis but apparently the old saying is true if you love something let it go and if it’s meant to be and with the help of a new stadium and a lot of money it will come back to you. The Rams are trying to make a splash and in order to do so gave up a king’s ransom for a less than proven quarterback. Goff has some great intangibles and when he is hot he has some great precision. His same strength is his weakness when flustered and makes some lofty throws under pressure and does not have the elite arm strength you want in the NFL. He’s also a QB who spent the entire season in the shotgun formation. He won’t be able to do that anymore in this offense. Goff will be good but not great. Jeff Fischer is trying to save his job and a quarterback is needed to make that step. The question was did they pay too much?
2. Philadelphia Eagles (from Cleveland Browns)- Carson Wentz (QB), North Dakota State- A new coach needs a new QB. The Eagles also gave up a ton to draft their future quarterback. A ton to draft a QB that they are not guaranteed to even get. It only cost them a ton of picks and their current starter Sam Bradford who is asking to be traded now. Apparently Bradford doesn’t think he can beat out the FCS Rookie. Wentz has a huge upside and is a big boom or bust player. I just can not get behind drafting a player this high that did not play against elite defenses. His arm will bail him out of a lot of plays but his ball security is a big concern. The Eagles new coach is willing to live and die by this pick. Let the great rebuild of Philly begin
3. San Diego Chargers– Jalen Ramsey (CB), FSU – **Trade Spot** With two quarterbacks almost guaranteed to be gone, the Chargers have their pick of the best of every other position player. If a team truly likes someone they will call and inquire and for the right price San Diego will move out. Tunsil is the best player but they have a ton of money invested in tackles and San Diego wants to make the sexy pick to go with their new stadium proposal. Ramsey fills a huge need for a horrible pass defense last year. They lost Weddle and Ramsey can play both safety and corner. Ramsey has great instinct and is just a pure athlete that loves to ball. He relies on his athleticism too much however, and his feet work is poor. NFL speed will be too much and he will not recover like he did in college. He will need to work better at his tight coverage and get his hips limber to move laterally.
4. Dallas Cowboys– Joey Bosa (DE), Ohio State- No team needs help for their pass rush more than the Cowboys. Two of their band of misfit rushers won’t be playing to begin the season and they can no longer avoid the hole left by Demarcus Ware. If Ramsey is here there will be a debate but pressure is the best answer for a secondary. Joey Bosa has a motor that does not stop. He will out work his competition but he does have some warning signs. He lacks elite speed and it is going to be difficult for him to get around the edge consistently if he doesn’t become very skilled with his hands. The Cowboys have had this pick circled for a long time and unless the rumors are true about Bosa’s interviews causing him to fall; the Cowboys will have their next great pass rusher..
5. Jacksonville Jaguars– Laremy Tunsil (OT), Ole Miss- (Projected Trade with Tennessee Titans) I believe the Jaguars wanted Ramsey or Bosa. With both gone they would be more than happy to take Myles Jack, but I do believe there is some real concern about his knee. Jack will still go high but not at 5. With the best projected player available the Titans will trade in some of their many picks and make their GM look like even more of a genius. The Titans need to protect Mariota and will get a day one starter. Tunsil’s size, hands, and footwork are pro ready. His lazy waist and inability to communicate loops or stunts are definitely areas of needed improvement..