2014 NFL Mock Draft by Justin Kissel
Justin Kissel is a past football recruiter in the SEC weighs in on where the NCAA’s top talent will end up in this year’s 2014 draft..
1. Houston Texans-Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina: The player with the most natural God given talent in the draft. The only question is will he use it or become motivated only when he wants to be? The thought of pairing him with JJ Watt is terrifying for quarterbacks in the AFC South… just ask Andrew Luck! I think Coach Bill Kolar is one of the best in the country and with the help of Watt; Clowney will be a human highlight reel in Texas. Clowney couldn’t end up in a better place. The question is when his first “the hit” moment will be in the NFL? .
2. St. Louis Rams- Greg Robinson OT Auburn: (Trade Spot) St. Louis very well may turn this pick into another small fortune. With teams like Tampa, Atlanta, Detroit, and Buffalo wanting to move up in the draft the phone will surely be ringing and they will be willing to make a deal if the price is right. If St. Louis stays put they will be deciding between one of the many great tackles that will go early in this year’s draft. Robinson is raw and struggles at times in pass coverage but his athleticism at his position makes the roof sky high and the best tackle available. The Rams would love to move down a few spots and still grab him.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars- Johnny Manziel QB Texas A&M: The Jaguars need a ton of help and can go multiple directions that’s why listening to one of the many teams trying to move up makes a lot of sense as there is a ton of value available. The team is being built around defense and Khalil Mack is going to be a great one. If the Jags don’t take him here he won’t make a much larger fall. Sammy Watkins provides a dynamic tool to put alongside the other playmakers the Jaguars drafted last year, but who is going to get him the ball? Johnny Manziel gives the team a new face for the franchise and excitement that hasn’t been in Jacksonville for a long time. He is dynamic and has the most potential of any of this year’s signal callers. The Bucs have showed their cards that they are coming after him at the two spot.
4. Cleveland Browns-Sammy Watkins WR Clemson: Johnny Manziel is linked to Cleveland in multiple expert picks but I do not see them pulling the trigger on a QB this early or him even being available at this spot. I do see them grabbing an elite speed threat in Sammy Watkins to pair up with Josh Gordon to make Browns fans excited about the team they are assembling the right way. Look at the Bengals it wasn’t done overnight. Franchises need to rebuild properly even though Cleveland fans have been waiting for a long time.
5. Oakland Raiders-Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo: The Raiders love a physical freak that has not changed since Al Davis passed and unfortunately either has bad front office decisions. I don’t think a team lost more than the Raiders did this free agency. That being said the Raiders will be giddy if Mack somehow fell to them. Evans may very well be the pick they have their eyes on or may move down to let a team grab an elite prospect Oakland will get a good one as long as they stay true to their draft board and not reach as they have in years past.
6. Atlanta Falcons- Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M: Atlanta would like to move up to grab Clowney or Mack but I don’t see them offering up enough to move up with them wanting to hold on to their 2nd round pick. Atlanta can’t protect Matty Ice long enough to let him get the ball to his playmakers. Mattews is a big physical force as well as the most NFL ready tackle and the protector of Johnny Football. Matthews is just what the Falcons need along with a pass rusher and a tight end to return to playoff form.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Mike Evans WR Texas A&M: The Bucs have a new coach and the need for a big splash. They will look long and hard at the QB position as they are rumored to want Manziel and are willing to move up. The Bucs need too many pieces to give up the ransom that will be wanted without crippling their club. Getting Evans is a great consolation since Vincent Jackson is not getting any younger and has no real help opposite of him.
8.Minnesota Vikings- Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh: Minnesota is not going to be in a rush to grab a QB. Their GM already missed big with Ponder. The line is lacking a defensive force and push now that Jared Allen has left. Aaron Donald is the exact force needed to help ease the pain of their all pro pass rusher..